Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Day To Remember

It will take some time to get up to date with my process as I began one year ago with this project and have only now began this blog. I will get the whole procedure posted with pics as time goes by and eventually reach the present. So I will have to mix current breakthroughs in every now and again out of excitement.

And it is certainly with excitement that I blog this one. Today marks the day that I saw an ammeter rated at 30 Amps get slapped by my newly assembles axial flux generator that I built from scratch.

To those who don't know much about amps and what not, 30 amps is a whole lot, especially at the slow rpm it produced the charge, around 300 rpm. To slap the needle to max as violently as I saw, means there are far more than 30 amps raging through those cables. Very encouraging. The final designed output must be 83 amps into 12 volts, or half that into 24 volts to achieve the desired 1KW mark.

The main joy was to see that everything works. I powered the alternator with my Hilti cordless, which has loads of torque, but it turned out not to be able to maintain the revs, when put under load the generator creates a lot of resistance to turning. Out came the electric 720watt power drill. It to succumbed to the internal flux shear. On measuring the load, a constant 15-18 amps where maintained at around 200-250 rpm.

All is well with the machine, now I have to dismantle it and paint the parts pretty well and find a long pole and secure the beast in the sky.

This entry is way out of sequence but I just have to notch this moment in time.

It works, the bloody thing works!

No comments:

Post a Comment